I’ve just completed the 30 day Caveman cold shower challenge and to celebrate this milestone I took an ICE bath.
Am I mad? Why take an ICE bath?
Benefits of an ICE bath:
- promotes weight loss by igniting brown adipose tissue (brown fat) into burning white fat
- accelerates muscle recovery
- increase sperm production
- increase libido
- boost testosterone
- improve time to fall asleep if taken 1 hour before bed
- Throw in all the ICE
- Let it melt almost completely or until sub 10°C
- Hop into the bath, squeal in pain/delight
- Submerge bottom half for 5 minutes
- Submerge top half, including head for the remaining 5 minutes
So how was it?
It was cold, really cold. I was in for 30 seconds and I wanted to get out, I didn’t know if I was going to be able to handle it for the full 10 minutes but I soldiered on, it was a real mental struggle to keep going. On the video you can hear me grunting in pain a bit and also struggling to speak a few times as my brain was freezing up! I had to use a few mental tricks to take my mind and focus elsewhere.
How did I feel afterwards?
Empowered, full of energy, alive.
After the ice bath I had my leaving party in London to go to and for the rest of the evening I was wide awake, full of energy and feeling fantastic. The following day, feeling great also. I’m not sure if I am going to make this one a habit, it was pretty tough to be honest. If I get into training everyday then maybe I will try the ICE bath more often, but I’d do it with 8kg of ice and try keep that temperature around 10°C, 7°C was too cold!
Here’s the video, warning my camera keeps flicking into autofocus and blurs a couple of times, I must work out how to turn that off. Note this is UNCUT and the full length video, I’m flying out to San Francisco tomorrow to begin the 90 Day Challenge and have not had the time to edit it down. Enjoy: